“The Door Holders” At JDCHS

Ambassadors aren’t what they’re expected to be.

Pat Bayer
All Ambassadors serving at the Senior Farewell Mass

With a stringent application/interview process of only a 36% acceptance rate, the ambassadors program requires students to provide hospitality for those visiting our school and serve at various civic and religious events. Ambassadors are required at important events such as large diocesan masses and charity events to represent JD. They’re easily recognized by their blue blazers and represent the campus to many of the new coming guests of Juan Diego, as well as numerous off-site events throughout the year where their presence is requested. 

Ambassadors are expected to ensure the smooth operation of events through their support and guarantee a warm welcome to our campus for hundreds of visitors, students, parents, among other important people. It is argued that while some ambassadors are given good opportunities to take lead of special events, most ambassadors are given the jobs that require door holding for incoming guests.

“Some of my friends are ambassadors and I notice them passing out flyers or ushering and helping out guests during mass. I think there’s more to ambassadors than what people see,” says senior Abraham Maguina. 

A main job of the ambassador program is door holding as it shows a sense of respect to our incoming guests, and shows that they matter. Juan Diego is a big community that requires a large number of ambassadors to bring a sense of connection and kindness to the guests from all sides of the campus. 

Ambassadors behind the scenes of the Senior Farewell Mass.

“Jobs can get repetitive, but our communication skills between people at JD gets stronger. For every event served, a few ambassadors are given the opportunity individually to lead the event,” said an anonymous source.

While it may seem like all Ambassadors do is hold doors, they connect with guests and create an open and friendly space.