Getting to know the Seven Percent

Meet the lacrosse college commits of Juan Diego

Only 7% of high school athletes commit to playing their sport in college. 7%.The Juan Diego community is filled with students with amazing talents and the athletic program does not fall short of having hardworking and gifted athletes. In the graduating class of 2023, there are a number of talented athletes, some of whom have committed to playing their sport in college.

Joe Funes breaking his stick while checking an opponent (Abbie Nelson)

Jose Funes is a senior committing D1 to Jacksonville University to play lacrosse. “Committing for me was like any athlete’s dream come true. It all started with playing Club lacrosse with West Coast Starz and UNRL,” he says. The process of committing for him started with “Getting a call from Coach Galloway (head coach of the lacrosse team) saying that he was impressed with my play and wanted me down for a visit.” “We spoke numbers and ultimately ended up committing,” he continued. He picked Jacksonville because he loved the family-like culture of the team. “They are hard-workers who want to win regardless of who they’re playing,” he says. He likes the “nice, private campus,” and the fact that his class size is smaller than a lot of schools. “I am most excited for a fresh start, moving to Florida, and getting to play for more years of lacrosse,” he finished.

Jacob Anderson clearing the ball during JD v Brighton

Up next, is senior Jacob Anderson committing D3 to Harverford College to play lacrosse. His commitment process began with going to a showcase where Coach Taylor, the head coach of the lacrosse team, was watching him. “I was invited to an invite-only showcase and then to an official college visit to talk logistics,” he says. He picked Harverford College because it “Offered everything that I was looking for in a college.” He is most excited to get on campus.

Wyatt Robertson dodging at net during JD v Skyline (Jesse Lindsey)

Senior Wyatt Robertson is committing D1 to Cleveland State  University. His recruitment process involved different methods. “My recruiting process was a combination of a lot of emails to coaches, playing in top tier tournaments and showcases, as well as a lot of work making a highlight reel to send to coaches,” he says. He made his decision to attend the university after he went on his official visit. “The coaches had shown interest in me the entire summer and when I finally went on the visit, I fell in love with the school. The campus and the team atmosphere were critical in me making my decision,” he continued. When asked, he said that he is most excited to meet all the new 2023 commits and finally being able to get on campus.

Being a committed athlete is a considerable accomplishment. Congrats to all of our athletes from Juan Diego who have put many hours of effort into reaching this major achievement.