No Online Learners Allowed

Virtual students are no longer able to attend school clubs/sports

Alexus Quayson-Sackey

Skyla Ulrich doing her math homework while learning at home.

This pandemic has been difficult on everyone, whether you are online or at home. One of the most beneficial things for a lot of people has been being able to do clubs and sports. Recently though, rules have changed. Now, online people can’t do sports and clubs anymore.

Sophomore Jackson Shemwell is an in-person student and is a member of the swim team. Being able to attend practice and swim every day with his team has greatly helped him.“Going to swim during the pandemic is nice because I get to see all my friends outside of school and get a good workout in.” Shemwell said.

Students Alexis Quayson-Sackey and Jackson Shemwell at cross country despite the pandemic. (JDCHS Cross Country)

However, some students are online learners and used to be able to do school sports and clubs, but now that option is invalid. “During the fall,” says sophomore Alexus Quayson-Sackey, “I was able to do cross-country, even though I was doing school virtually. It was nice to get with friends and destress from school,” Quayson-Sackey said. With the new rule though, her school routine changed. “When I first read that online students couldn’t participate in extracurriculars, I was very frustrated and disappointed because I would no longer be able to see some of my friends and use that as my stress reliever,” finished Quayson-Sackey.

Why did this rule come about though? “So first and foremost, it is not healthy for kids to be online and not to be present on campus. So our policy is that if you want to participate in your extracurriculars, you have to come attend classes during the day.” says Dean of Students Sam Salts. However, there are ways that you can go to extracurriculars and sports. “Are there exceptions to this rule?” continues Salts, “Yes, but there has to be a compelling reason, there has to be a doctors note, the counselor has to approve, the Dean has to approve.”

“No longer having that opportunity makes me feel more disconnected since I’m not at school.”  

— Alexus Quayson-Sackey

He mentioned that many kids were staying home and doing online school because they didn’t want to be at school in person. “That rule is in place for kids not to abuse the online option.” Not all students choose to do the online option because they don’t want to go to school though. “I chose to do online school because my family is high-risk. I didn’t want to take any chances with myself or my family.” says Quayson-Sackey. This new rule has affected the online students who play sports a lot emotionally. “No longer having that opportunity makes me feel more disconnected since I’m not at school.”