Swimming State Championships

Men’s swim team wins 4th at state

Emily Werner

Junior Payton Bouwhuis swims for the gold at State.

Another win for JD’s swim team. After a whole season of hard work and some amazing swims at state, the men’s swim team got 4th in state championships. “In swimming, we work from the first week of September to the second week of February, with a period of rest at the end of the season called tapering,” Coach John Moran said. “This year, we had about half the team locked in for qualifying for state and the other half of the team being very young. What that means is that the younger swimmers had to rest a little earlier so that they could qualify for state, and the older swimmers had to wait an additional two weeks for their own taper in order to swim their best at state,” Moran finished.

A JD Swimmer swimming backstroke.

The second event at state was the 200 medley relay. JD’s relay team included Senior Will Anderson swimming backstroke, Senior Alexander Gustat swimming breaststroke, Junior Payton Bouwhuis swimming butterfly, and Senior Hiva Aitamai swimming freestyle. In the race, JD won first in State with an astonishing 1:38.92 minute time, giving many points to the team. Freshman Bea Pascual said, “Honestly, before the season started, I was thinking of quitting the sport altogether, but I’m so glad I didn’t. After joining the JD swim team, I found my second family and improved so much. I qualified for state in two individual events as a freshman! I didn’t do as well as I wanted to in State, but I have to say, it was one of my favorite meets and I’m so proud of each and every one of my teammates who competed,” Pascual commented.

A JD swimmer swimming at the State Swim Meet.

In the 20th event of the night, Senior Alexander Gustat got Juan Diego even more points for his first place finish in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 58.67 seconds. Freshmen Khristian Swick swam for the first time at state in the 100 yard freestyle event. He said, “State was absolutely awful. I added time but it was still a great experience. The season was fantastic,” Swick continued. “It was such a blast and I loved my teammates.”

Overall, this swim season has gone well. “The girls finished in the middle of the pack, led by senior Shavaun Carlisle and sophomore Morgan Rutledge, Coach Moran said. “Senior Courtney Strydom made a valiant effort, but was affected by long term sickness. The boys team finished 4th overall, winning the medley relay and setting 7 new school records. The school record-setters are Hiva Aitami, Will Anderson, Payton Bouwhuis, and Alexander Gustat, who won one gold in two individual events,” Coach Moran concluded.