A Substitute Loved By Many

Jeri Butler, the face all students look forward to seeing

Mrs.+Butler%2C+more+than+just+a+substitute+and+mother+here+at+Juan+Diego.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

A Substitute Loved By Many

Mrs. Butler, more than just a substitute and mother here at Juan Diego.

Zaira Diaz

Zaira Diaz

Zaira Diaz

“We have a sub today!” “I really hope it’s Mrs. Butler!” Juan Diego students say once they find out they have a sub. From her bringing donuts and snacks to some of her classes, to a simple “Hey guys!” followed by a bright smile when students arrive at one of her classrooms, Mrs. Butler has always been widely admired by Juan Diego’s students due to her kindness towards every class she subs in. 

“I grew up in Grantsville, Utah, where I am currently living. I graduated from Grantsville High school, attended college at BYU and then married my high school sweetheart, Kevin.” Jeri Butler said, “I always wanted to be a mom so I was happy that I was able to stay home and care for my kids while they were young.” Butler continued. Mrs. Butler has 5 kids and 12 grandchildren. 

Having 5 children and 12 grandchildren, Mrs. Butler enjoys spending time with her kids and grandkids on the weekends and is happiest when she is with them. “We love to watch sports, and we have a lot of family gatherings for birthdays and other special occasions.” Butler said, “I am involved in our church and I am also a leader of the Young Women. I devote a lot of time to that calling.” Butler continued. Being LDS, Mrs. Butler loves teaching at Juan Diego because she claims her life has been “enriched” by being exposed to many different religions here at JD. 

“I knew of JD from the time it opened. When Jackson enrolled as a student at JD, I had to drive him every day. It’s a 100 miles round trip from Grantville to JD and I would do that twice a day.” Butler said, “I had been a substitute teacher before, and being a substitute at JD meant I could bring Jackson and stay all day.” Butler finished. Mrs. Butler admired the successes of JD, which brought her to drive 100 miles every day. 

“I love having my mom as a sub here!” Jackson Butler said. “At first I thought it was a little weird, and I got embarrassed, but I’ve learned just how great it is to have my mom at the school in case I ever need anything.” Butler finished. Jackson Butler is a senior here at Juan Diego and loves having his mom working here at the school. 

I love having my mom as a sub here!”

— Jackson Butler

Although many students have just met Mrs. Butler, everyone has grown to love her. Her kind smile and mom figure make all students at JD love seeing her walking around the halls or seeing her bright face as they walk into a classroom.