A Day in the Life of the Lunch Faculty

The Lunch Staff shares what it's like working in the cafeteria

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Day in the Life of the Lunch Faculty

The lunch staff gathers for a group photo. Every day the group provides quality food for JD students.

Jaren Morgan

Jaren Morgan

Jaren Morgan

You see them all the time, but do you know who the people are that give us fuel every day? With endless hours in the kitchen spent five days a week, the lunch staff share how they do what they do and what it’s like working at Juan Diego.

Kristina Baker, Manager of Lunch Staff

Kristina Baker, the manager of the lunch staff, calls the shots with how each day goes. “I usually come in at 6:30 A.M.,” Baker started, “sometimes 7:00, to start getting everything turned on so that everything is ready for when the rest of the lunch staff comes in to start prepping food.” Rolling into the new year, Baker celebrates her 20th anniversary at JD. “I came in 2000 and I did concessions at the Snack Shack, running with another mother.” Also helping in the uniform store, Baker has done multiple things before she started working in the kitchen. “I’ve been here for a while, but as far as working in the kitchen, I started in 2013. Now, I’m sometimes here until 9:30 to 10:00 at night due to other responsibilities besides the kitchen like concessions, vending, it just depends what it is,” Baker finished.

Nanta Gutierrez, member of Lunch Staff

Nanta Gutierrez, lunch faculty member, is famous by students due to her ability to memorize Student ID. “I used to work in accounting, so numbers and stuff like just come to me easily.” Having worked here since 2013, Gutierrez has had two students on campus with her. “One just graduated last year, and a junior this year, so only one more year having a student here, and I think I’m going to stay because I like it—the kids and all of my friends here that I get to work with.”

Lisa Todaro Lewis, member of Lunch Staff

“Being a nurse, everybody asks me how come I don’t do nursing anymore,” Lisa Todaro Lewis, another lunch staff member, begins, “and I say, ‘Because you have to work 12-hour shifts, and, here, I have the same schedule as my kids while I can still get all my physical stuff in.’ Also, I’m not just sitting at home or sitting at a desk or anything, and I enjoy it, especially with summer off.”
Todaro and the rest of the lunch faculty have different hours than Baker. “I come in between 8-8:30 A.M. and the rest of us usually leave around 3-3:30,” Todaro continued. “It depends because sometimes on Thursday, we’ll go ahead and prep pizzas if we know that we’re gonna be short on Friday, and that can take a couple of hours,” Todaro said.

When talking about their job as compared to others in the Juan Diego community, the lunch staff feels that everybody here has a difficult and busy job. “Everyone here definitely has to work hard,” Baker started, “because everyone else has to worry about all of you, making sure all of you are meeting your needs and everything, so we just work in a different manner. But, sometimes with us, I don’t think people notice how hard what we really do for you all is. And we love it because if we didn’t, we wouldn’t be here,” Baker finished.

An important part of the job is the treatment and appreciation coming from students to the lunch faculty. “The majority of the kids are pretty polite and nice,” Gutierrez stated, “most always say thank you, and there’s some that can be impatient, but everybody has those days,” Gutierrez finishes. “I think it’s pretty good,” Baker began, “you’ll have a couple here and there, but, to be honest, you guys are really good,” Baker finished.
After all the lunch staff does for the students at JD, the least we can do is smile and thank them for all of their hard work every day.