Drumming into 2020

JD has recently started up the new student-led drumline, open to all students, musical or not.

Lacey Cintron

Juan Diego's custom logo for the drumline, also known as the JDCHS Winterline.

The Drumline running through and practicing different cadences and warmups, from Youtube.

5, 6, 7, 8. The newest addition to Juan Diego’s music department, a student-led drumline, has recently started up rehearsals. On Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 to 5:30, the sounds of pounding drums and melodic percussion can be heard drifting through the halls, as the drumline works on their field show and music that will be performed at the basketball game on February 14th.

Marcus Slobodnic is the core founder of JD’s drumline and hopes it becomes something successful and special to the music department. “Me and a couple of students wanted to restore a part of the marching program when we saw that we weren’t going to have marching band this year. So, we started an Indoor Marching Ensemble, or Drumline.” Said Slobodnic.

“I think we are progressing at a great pace, everyone seems to have a good understanding of the music and it’s really coming together,” Slobodnic said. Marcus has had high hopes for the Drumline, and so far it’s meeting his expectations.

I want this to be a bridge to the other percussion programs.”

— Marcus Slobodnic

“I’m hoping that this program will last, and continue to grow in size and greatness in the future. I want this to be a program that people look forward to joining, and that this will become a bridge to the other percussion programs.” Slobodnic stated, regarding the future of the drumline.

“So far, I think we’re making a lot of progress, and it’s been pretty fun.” Senior Olivia Culley who plays bass on the drumline has been involved with the music program since her freshman year. “I really think the drumline is going to be something special.”

The Drumline accepts people from all grades, and of all musicality levels. 8th Grader Gabe Gold plays the xylophone in the Front Ensemble of the drumline and is currently the only middle schooler involved.

“It’s different, being a middle schooler with a bunch of high schoolers, but I love percussion and this is a really good way to practice and do something I enjoy,” Gold said. “We have been working a lot on warm-ups and stuff recently, but I’m excited to really get into the show music.”

Lacey Cintron
Juan Diego’s drumline hard at work practicing the first movement of the show.

The show music is titled “The Illusion of Reality,” and is all about fantasy and illusion. “When I wrote the show music, I wanted to incorporate elements into the show that gave off a very mystical and magical feel. So we went with a show themed around illusions.” Explained Slobodnic.

Overall, the Drumline is off to a great start and is hoping to keep up the progress on learning and perfecting music. Practices are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 to 5:30, and the first confirmed performance will be at the varsity basketball game on February 14th.