The Confusion Surrounding AP Capstone

An inside look at Juan Diego’s most vigorous program

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Confusion Surrounding AP Capstone

Official Logo for the AP Capstone program provided by the AP College Board

AP Capstone is a new program popping up around schools in America and started 4 years ago for Juan Diego. Although it seems like hard work that will lead you to success in college; some kids disagree.

Mary McConnell, co creator of the capstone program at Juan Diego said, “Capstone is relatively new, and colleges are still figuring it out. The common application now has a “check off” for Capstone students. Colleges that except the Capstone credit include Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Brown, NYU, UC Berkeley, Cal Tech, MIT, Georgetown, University of Chicago, Universtiy of Michigan, and the University of Texas. The list continues to grow,” McConnell finishes.

McConnell explains how the AP Capstone program is less used for the college credit and more used for the skills needed for college and other classes. “I discovered that the University of Utah gives college credit – and exemption from the freshman writing requirement – only to students who score a 4 or a 5 on the AP Language and Composition exam,” McConnell said.

Since many colleges are still being introduced to the AP Capstone program, they often have a hard time giving credit to classes such as AP Seminar. AP Seminar is one of the hardest AP classes in the Capstone program and requires writing and argumentation skills. Students have started to think that this class is not useful because colleges don’t give credit for this class. “Knowledge always has a use and is never useless,” Co creator of the Capstone program and AP World History teacher, Vanessa Jacobs said. “That said, AP Seminar teaches many lifelong skills such as research, argumentation, and communication skills, which prove helpful in future standardized tests such as the ACT or SAT.”

The Capstone teachers conclude that even though colleges have a hard time accepting the credits that come with having a Capstone diploma, it proves more useful than not. They often remind the students that graduated Capstone students always conclude that the program proved useful and helpful in their college career. The AP classes not only come with college credits but skills needed for college and beyond that, as well.