The Student Mentors

Insight on the STAMP program and what it does for the school community

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Student Mentors

At Juan Diego, STAMP stands for student advisor to the mentor program.

Ellie Kuehn

Ellie Kuehn

Ellie Kuehn

Juniors and seniors in freshman mentor groups is not something people expect to see, but for STAMPs, it is normal. STAMP stands for student advisor to the mentor program, and they do just that. These students are selected to help freshman mentees transition to high school life, to be a friendly face around the school, and be someone for the underclassmen to look up to.

“The STAMP program got started because someone saw a need for a program like it, for the freshmen,” Mrs. Loy Hall said. “We have tried two different processes so far to select STAMPs,” Hall said. “One year it was Faculty nomination with interviews, and another we allowed the freshmen mentors to ask students to be their STAMP,” Hall finished.

Many STAMPs enjoy their role in the school. “I like being a STAMP for Mr. B and Mr. McGee. It isn’t too demanding and it is fun to be involved with our freshman boys,” Junior Kyle Ebner said. “In reading, STAMPs take attendance and then sit with our mentees to read. If Mr. Brunetti needs us with anything, we’ll do that too,” Ebner said. “If I get the chance to do it again, I will. No hesitation,” Ebner finished.

Back at the Freshman Retreat in September, the STAMPs and their mentees got to talk and really get to know each other, which has carried on throughout the year. “When we meet for mentor groups we just bond and get to know each other,” Junior Anna Filidore said. “For, example, one time we went around and said our favorite book or movie and tv show to recommend it to other people, so they could find something new,” Filidore continued. “Sometime last year, Ms. Sawyer came up and talked to me about it, saying that two of the freshmen on drill were in her group so she thought it would be good for them to have a familiar face around, and I’m glad she did,” Filidore finished.

“I’m not sure exactly where the program will go. It depends on need and obviously, the Mentor Program. We are always discussing how we can make both programs the most beneficial” Mrs. Hall finished.