Getting in the Groove

A look at auditions for Juan Diego's fall musical

Back to Article
Back to Article

Getting in the Groove

It’s time to cut loose with Footloose! Auditions for Juan Diego’s fall musical were this last week and the new cast is ready to rock and roll! “Auditions went great,” director Joe Crnich says. “It was good to see everybody move. Dance is one of the reasons why I picked the show.” If Footloose is known for anything, it would be the dancing. Flips, kicks, and pirouettes are all staples of the movie’s choreography and while these high school dancers aren’t going to be doing so many advanced things, it will be more intensive than many of Juan Diego’s other productions. The big question is will the students be able to pull it off. “Yes, yes, yes, yes!” sophomore Katie Moyle states. “Theatre kids have to be triple threats, and I think we’ll learn quickly, especially with the guidance of our fantastic choreographer, Shelti.” 

All of the students, not just Moyle, seem to be very excited about the new challenge that the dancing brings to the table. She also says, “I am most excited for learning all the new dances so we can blow the pants off the audience with our sick moves.” Of course the dancing isn’t the only thing to look forward to in the fall musical. “The energy and the positive atmosphere at the auditions,” choreographer Shelti Thompson says, “to me just shows that it’s going to carry over throughout the whole rehearsal process and into the performances.” 

The students who have been a part of Juan Diego’s drama department certainly provide most of the energy but the new students helped bring it to another level. “There were lots of new people and I was really pleased about that.” Crnich comments. “I think it will be fun to work on musically also because the songs are just fun, rock and roll, mid-80’s songs. The costuming’s not going to be difficult; the set shouldn’t be too hard. It’ll be fun, I want it to be fun.” And it certainly will be fun to watch and participate in for the new cast who started rehearsals this Wednesday. Don’t forget to come and support them this November 21-23. “I can’t wait to be part of another JD production,” Moyle exclaims.