Speaking Eagle

Filed under JD Voices, Opinion, Showcase

God Won’t Stop Gun Violence

It's time for the people to stop gun violence, and it starts with us.

Back to Article
Back to Article

God Won’t Stop Gun Violence

340 mass shootings occurred in 2018 according to the Gun Violence Archive. In 2019, there have been 31 mass shootings and 5,035 gun-related incidents in just 37 days. These numbers are increasing every day and they aren’t going to stop climbing unless we do something about it. It’s time we helped American citizens and tourists feel safer in public by introducing gun control.

The problem in the United States is that we allow citizens to have relatively easy access to guns. In 2017, there were about 120 guns per 100 people in the U.S. In the same year, there were 61,926 incidents involving guns.  In Australia, it took one shooting where 35 people died and 23 were injured, for the government to introduce gun control. They recalled all guns and implemented a strict, lengthy procedure full of background checks for people (mainly farmers) to own a gun.  Since then, their suicide and homicide rates have lowered and there have been significantly fewer deaths by gun.

There are Americans that are opposed to gun control because it goes against the Second Amendment which says every citizen has the right to bear arms. But, every person also has the right to feel safe when they step out of their home. Students should be able to go to school knowing that they are safe and will come home that night, and parents shouldn’t have to worry about their child while they’re at school. With the numbers for 2018 reading that 3,498 children and teenagers were killed by a gun last year and 275 this year, every parent should be worried. School shootings are a reality in the U.S. students and realize this needs to change. “It’s gotten out of hand, there’s no need for the average citizen to have an AR,” said Sophomore Victor Nukovic. Nukovic’s solution to the problem is to introduce gun control and put tighter background checks in place. “When less people had guns, there were less mass shootings,” Nukovic concluded.

I’ve gone through the experience of being in a scenario where there is an active shooter. I was shopping with my mom at Fashion Place Mall, when we heard a woman say, “There’s an active shooter in the mall, we need to get out.” Thankfully, we made it out and got home safely and no one was killed in the shooting. Driving home, I thought about all the families with small children still inside that were rushing out or going to hide in the back of stores. For weeks, I thought about these families and was constantly asking myself two questions, where would I go if there was a shooting and was I safe in public? Going through the experience, made me realize how big of an issue shootings are in the U.S. and that it’s time to put an end to it.

Every person has the right to feel safe out in public, but with all the mass shootings, it’s hard to feel safe. We as American citizens can help our country be safe by calling out to to the government, telling them to stop gun violence by introducing gun control.