Speaking Eagle

Filed under JD Voices, Opinion, Showcase

Don’t Let Those Grades Let You Down

Speaking on the pressure good grades from society put on students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Don’t Let Those Grades Let You Down

For 14 years, students sit in desks, in front of a teacher, while he or she gives them information that they will later be tested on. They complete homework on the matter and study it until they are given tests which determine their grade for the class. But does any of that really matter? Does the grade they receive on the test determine their level of intelligence? Personally, I can answer these questions with a hard no. Students are more than the letter they receive on a report card. Grades do not define who they are because there are more important things in life than GPAs, tests, and report cards.

For some, high school is an important time. It is a time for some to excel in academics so they will be able to get into a certain college or do well because their grades affect their future. Some think the standardized testing that students must take during high school pretty much determines their future. Students must do good on these tests if they are planning on going to a good college. Many fretful hours are spent by students, bent over a book, studying for a test, when they should be taking care of their bodies by sleeping. This is wrong. I think too much pressure is put on these standardized tests. One test should not determine your future, intelligence, or the respect you get from teachers or adults.

In our society, school is pushed onto kids. School is put as a kid’s number one priority sometimes, and that should not happen. Students are putting their fear of failing above their own mental health because that’s what they think they are supposed to do. Research shows that students who slept seven hours during an exam period increased their scores by 10 percent. I think our society needs to realize this and express to the students that mental health is a bigger priority than any grade or test.
Grades do not determine a person’s value. I feel that in our society today, people are judged on how high their scores are, or the letter they receive on a report card. But, this should never be the case. We are all different, and it’s all these different talents and minds that make our world vibrant. Students should be encouraged to grow their talents that are in and outside the classroom, and they should be taken seriously. Students are more than the letter they receive on a report card. Grades do not define who you are because there are more important things in life than your GPA.