Dado, the Man, Coach, and Father

The interesting story of Daniel Cavar, a man involved in very many lives.

You may know him as Mr. Cavar, the stern gym teacher, or as Dado, the man with loads of compassion to the teams he coaches. Whichever you know him as, Daniel Cavar, the PE teacher and soccer coach at JDCHS, you can’t deny he takes his life seriously and is constantly working to help those around him.

Dado is originally from Croatia, but moved to the United States completely clueless in his teenage years. “When I moved to the United States of America, I knew four words, hi, bye & Big Mac,” Dado said. It was a huge change and one that would take lots of getting used to, but ultimately would work out in his favor. “Everything was so big here, the streets, the grocery stores, cars, and the houses. It made me realize for the first time that we were free, and we had the right to go to a school that we wanted to attend, look for the job that we wanted to work in and don’t stress about being deported every day. America set us free!” Dado said.  

Currently, Dado had been focusing on his family even though he is busy coaching and teaching. “The most important thing now is to stay healthy and take care of my family. Challenges have come my way, but I have learned how to deal with them daily and remain composed. In my spare time, I love to spend time with my kids and have them experience new adventures in their life.” His family is a very major part of his life and it always keeps him going.

Throughout his very busy life, soccer has always played a very big part in shaping him into the person he is today. “Soccer has taught me many valuable things through all these years. Soccer is a beautiful game and no matter if you win or lose the most important part is to become a good person in our society. This game will always have a special place in my heart.” He will continue to emulate these values and teach them to his players as long as he is involved in the game.

Dado with the JDCHS soccer team.

Dado has also greatly influenced many of the players he has coached, whether they be from club or school teams. “My most memorable moment with Dado was actually this year when he told us a story about a game where they were playing bad and then at half his coach told them to switch jerseys and then told him they were a brand new team. It inspired me to play better,” sophomore soccer player Aaron Kolff said.  “I met Daniel my sophomore year in high school. The best advice he gave me was this season,” senior soccer captain Seth Blasingim said. “He told me kids nowadays don’t understand how difficult it is to be a real captain out there. To be a real captain you have to be able to go out and make them always believe in you even when they don’t always believe in themselves.” Blasingim finished.

Dado is a great man who is extremely tough on the outside, but when you come to know him, he becomes very caring and humorous. He will continue to positively influence his students and players alike with his hard work ethic and ability to turn any situation into a learning experience.