Speaking Eagle

Filed under JDEats, Opinion, Showcase

Soda Craze!

A look into who has the best soda in town.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Soda Craze!

There has been a huge craze going on around Utah, and that craze is soda. Over the past few years, there have been a huge amount of soda shops opening their doors. The most prevalent shops are Swig, Sodalicious, and Fiiz Drinks. These chains have become some peoples’ go to places when they want a quick drink on the go. They all create unique drinks by mixing soda and different flavors, ranging from strawberry to cheesecake. I went to all three of these places and got a mixed drink with very similar flavors and saw which shop did it best.

The first place I went to was Swig in Draper. I ordered a 24 oz “Bloody Wild.” This is one of Swig’s signature creations. The drink is Mountain Dew with mango and strawberry puree. At first sip, there was an explosion of flavor. It did take me a second to find the strawberry, but when I found it, it made the drink so much better. The only downside is that there are small chunks of strawberry and mango leftover, but I could barely notice it.

Sodalicious in Riverton was the next stop and I got the “Flaming Ginger.” This drink is very similar to the “Bloody Wild” I got at Swig, but this drink tasted almost sour. Even though the drink is the same concept of mixing Mountain Dew with mango and strawberry, the drinks really did not taste the same at all. Sodalicious did make a good drink, but for me, it was too sour and I felt like I was getting a cavity because of how sugary it was.

Finally, I made my final stop at Fiiz Drinks in Sandy. They did not have a certain drink mix of the Mountain Dew, mango, and strawberry so I just asked for a “Dewberry,” with mango mixed in. This drink was actually really good. One thing that wasn’t really good though was how artificial the drink tasted. It just tasted like artificial sugar, but if you get past that the drink was actually pretty good.

Out of all the three places I went to try, Swig came out on top. The way Swig made the “Bloody Wild,” was perfectly balanced to me. There was not too much of a certain flavor and the flavors just corresponded perfectly with each other. Each soda place has good factors to it and each place had a good environment, but Swig came out on top.