Mr. Murphy Rocks

Get to know Mr. Murphy, the theology teacher that loves to rock out on the drums.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Murphy Rocks

Mr. Murphy busy teaching a sophomore theology class.

Every student at JD has seen theology teacher Mr. Murphy playing the drums at school Masses, lunch, or recently, the talent show. And although Murphy thinks people “know a pretty good deal” about him, students who haven’t taken his class only know him as the teacher that drums.

Murphy began as a Music major in college then switched to English in hopes of finding more opportunities to use his degree to make a living. After college he began teaching Language Arts in Arizona. Then he moved on to Salt Lake City and found work as a substitute teacher at Judge Memorial Catholic High School ten years ago. In 2015 he then found a job as a middle school teacher at Our Lady of Lourdes in Salt Lake City. “I kind of had my eye on some high school positions,” said Murphy, so when a position opened up at Juan Diego, he took it.

Everyone knows Murphy loves to drum. He loves it so much that he started a student-teacher band that is open to everyone on campus. He listed himself, Mr. Paulsen, seniors Ben Poynor, Nicholas (Danger) Raegan, and junior Ben Sykes as current band members and mentioned that other teachers such as Mr. Alex and Ms. Shackelford have joined them before. Before his time at JD, Murphy started a band at the middle school he worked at in Arizona. “That band lasted the whole three years I was there… By the time I got here it was something I really wanted to get back to,” he said on the band.

Aside from enjoying drumming, Murphy says he would like to travel, specifically to Asia and Africa, and he loves teaching and writing. “My students keep asking me to write my life story,” he said, hinting that he may put his English degree to use in the future by writing a book.