Speaking Eagle

Filed under JD Voices, Showcase

The Art of Minding Your Own Business

Makeup is highly criticized by people who do not understand what it means to wear this form of self-expression.

Self-Expression. It is a right. It is something that is desired. It is something that is encouraged. Art is a way of achieving self expression, it is a way of portraying personality, emotions, even a way of telling stories. As any piece of work, it will be criticized, whether good or bad, but at the end of the day, the artist is never discredited.

Now, why is that different for makeup? Why do people have the need to make unnecessary comments pertaining not just to the actual makeup look, but to the artist them self, and in the process, assume how the artist values themselves.

Alyssa Zweber is known for her beautiful and extravagant makeup.

For any makeup enthusiasts like myself, the purpose of “caking” our faces is NOT for others. It is a common misconception to think that girls wear makeup to impress others, specifically boys. It’s not to make a statement, or to ask for attention. The same goes for male makeup artists out there, who get severely oppressed for expressing who they are.

There is no need to have to wear makeup, it is a simple choice to want to or not. When I do my makeup, I do not think of who is going to like or not like a certain aspect of makeup. I think of what lip color will pair well with my eyeshadow colors or how blinding I want my highlight to be. Notice how this is all my very own opinion, and the same goes for every person who wear makeup. Comments such as “You look so much better without makeup” or “I prefer a more natural look” are the most infuriating and irrelevant phrases that can ever be said.

Last I recall, I have never told anyone how I feel they should express themselves, because, and this may come as a shocker, it is none of my business. The phrase “Mind your own business” has been taught to us from a young age, it is a decent courtesy, yet this is what people struggle with at times. It is so simple to focus on yourself, and to not have to put others down or try to discourage others in doing what they love.

So let that girl put on a lot of foundation, let that guy wear a dark colored lipstick, because at the end of the day, the only change you’re making by criticizing them, is the way that person thinks of you.